Friday, August 11, 2017

Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark - Architecture & Morality - 1981

 
I've been looking forward to posting this one for quite some time.  This album is quintessential OMD.  This is OMD at their most creative.  When I think of OMD, this is the album that I go to.

I've mentioned previously that If You Leave and The Pacific Age were essential listening for my Freshman and Sophomore years in High School.  This one didn't come until my Freshman year in college, and that was only because I was horribly disappointed with Sugar Tax and needed to purchase something new (to me) and different by OMD.  Sugar Tax had resparked my interest in them, and I went on a hunt after being let down by such a lousy album.

Needless to say, this album did not let me down.

SO.....

When they re-released this album back in....  2003 (?) I noticed right off the bat that their "Deluxe Version" had left off a few key points.  After years of listening and research and collecting, I realized that there was more than enough material to make two discs worth, well more than they had released on the Deluxe.  Add on to that, you had that delicious Dreamtime mix of Maid of Orleans, and then that Deno mix which isn't that bad.  So, had to gather it all up together, and put my deluxe stamp on it.  I'm not sure about the color of my version, as every version seems to change color anyway, but I held true to the design.  And, as for the bonus disc, I used some 7" sleeve graphics that are fan made and were never actually released.  Still looks pretty damn good.

Again, I'm 99% certain I have everything there, but let me know if you find something I missed.....


10 comments:

  1. Not to in any way denigrate or cast aspersions on what you do - because they clearly are labors of love - but I do not get what you see in all those fan mixes. That stuff to me is up (ie, down) there with things like band tribute albums on Cleopatra or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of going into the profundities of my liking for them, but I decided to simply say that they are a quirky acquired taste like Hormel's Corned Beef Hash, Kipper Snacks, and day-old, microwaved coffee. Either you like it, or you don't. I'm so sorry you don't. ;)

      Delete
    2. My only personal suggestion. Keep (and listen) to the ones by McDoc and Dreamtime. Those two mixers have done work that you'd swear was a legit release. And if you like Duran, then keep the Catbirdman mixes. Honestly, these three mixers sound better, most of the time, than the official mixes. As a purist, I understand your position, but I think that it also limits your listening potential and ultimate enjoyment.

      Delete
    3. Totally agree, Dreamtime mixes are awesome, combining the best of the original mix and the remix into an everything mix that leaves out nothing. My favorite is the 18 minute Dreamtime mix of Two Tribes somehow incorporating all the odd bits from the various Trevor Horn remixes. It's mindbending.

      Delete
    4. Spot on - The Two Tribes - Dreamtime Mix is amazing. And the Simple Minds Mixes. - Each to their own - though

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for compiling and sharing these tracks.
    Much appreciated all the time involved (not to mention the art work!)
    Interesting blog you have made, keep it up.
    Best wishes,
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites from my first year of college. My first roommate introduced me to this album (and the band, for that matter). I listened to his LP often, playing "Souvenir" over and over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, first I like your blog I pop over every couple of weeks.Im a fan of OMD I see you used some of my my fan sleeves I'm glad you appreciate and used them.(I have done over 160 now)The second disc says Joan of Arc 12" but its Maid of Orlean.Also there are more demos out including Sealand which is 8 mins long, The New stone age and Georgia which all sound different from the album release.Thanks Mark.

      Delete
  4. Mark, thank you for YOUR work in MY work. After I collected the images, I failed to note who had made them, and I am sorry for not crediting you on them. I appreciate your graciousness in letting me know who you were. You do exactly what I do, expressing your love and passion through your work. I don't want to diminish that. Thanks again for your contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Vermont USA - thank you very much for sharing such beautiful music...

    ReplyDelete